TAP FAQ – Where’s My Refund?

What is the quickest way to receive my refund?

  • File electronically
  • Use direct deposit for your refund

Can I check refund status online?

Yes, click Check your refund status.

What type of refunds can I view on TAP?

  • Circuit Breaker Renter Refund
  • Individual Income Tax Refund

Can I view the status of a refund issued last year?

No. You can only view the current year refund status.

What refund information is required?

  • Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
  • Refund amount or Federal Adjusted Gross Income (FAGI) from line 4 of your current year income tax return.

I received a message that my refund information could not be found at this time. What should I do?

  • Wait 30 days if filed electronically
  • Wait 90 days if filed by paper return
  • Follow instructions on the message screen
  • Call 800-662-4335 or 801-297-2200 for questions after the waiting period

Why is my refund amount different from what I was expecting?

The most common reasons are:

  • Your return may have had an error
  • Your refund may have been used to pay another liability
  • Your refund has been intercepted by another agency

My refund was issued over 2 weeks ago and I have not received it. What should I do?

  • Verify refund mailing address on your return was correct
  • Verify direct deposit information was correct
  • Wait 30 days from the refund issue date then contact the Utah Department of Finance at 801-957-7760. You will need to provide information from the Check your refund status page.

Please note . . .

TAP Scheduled Upgrade

Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) will be upgraded Friday, December 11 at 5:00pm through Monday, December 14 at 7:00am. TAP will be unavailable during this time.

Please note . . .

TC-69 Form Usually Requires Additional Schedules

When submitting a TC-69 paper form, you MUST also include the appropriate schedule(s). If you do not include the correct schedule(s), your business registration will be delayed.

Note: To save time and ensure all needed schedules are included, you can apply for a tax account online.

Please note . . .

Sales tax filing is changing

All Utah sales and use tax returns and other sales-related tax returns must be filed electronically, beginning with returns due Nov. 2, 2020. File electronically using Taxpayer Access Point at tap.utah.gov.

This includes:

  • Third quarter, July-Sept 2020 (quarterly filers)
  • September 2020 (monthly filers)
  • Jan – Dec 2020 (annual filers)
  • All related schedules

You can continue to the PDF form below, or go to TAP to register and begin filing electronically now—no need to wait until the deadline!