What is the deadline for filing and paying returns using TAP?
Filing – You must submit your tax return by midnight on the due date (due dates vary by tax types). Start early enough to finish by midnight. Returns submitted after the due date are late and may accrue interest and penalties.
Paying – You must submit or schedule your payment to process by midnight on the due date. You may file your return early and schedule your payment for the due date. Payments received after the due date may be subject to interest and penalties.
Who can use TAP?
Businesses and representatives (accountants, bookkeepers, payroll professionals, etc.) can use TAP to manage their Utah business tax accounts.
Individuals can use TAP to file current year Utah tax returns, check status of a refund, make payments, request a payment agreement and request a waiver.
What information do I need to sign up for TAP access?
You must be a customer in our tax system and have a valid email address to sign up for TAP access. Representatives or preparers may gain third-party access if their client gives them the required information and authorization to manage the account (proof may be requested). You will get an email with an authorization code to access TAP your first time. Individual users do not need to create a login.
Why should I use TAP?
- Free and available 24/7.
- Convenient –You won’t wait in lines or on the phone.
- Simple – Sign up for access the first time you use TAP. After that, use your username and password to sign in.
- Secure – TAP is a secure website, protects your tax information, and provides you with a secure online experience.
- Environmentally friendly – You can choose to stop receiving paper returns and manage your taxes online.
- Fast – TAP is the fastest way to get your refund.
- Manage Tax Account – You can also see any payments and changes you make to your business account within 24 hours.
What can I do using TAP?
TAP lets you:
- File or amend tax returns (except individual income taxes)
- Make tax payments (including scheduling payments for future dates)
- Check refund status – Individual Income tax and Circuit Breaker Renter Refund
- View your account history
- Update account information such as an address
- Grant access to a 3rd party user (accountant, bookkeeper, additional employees, etc.) to use TAP on your behalf
- Add access to additional tax accounts
What taxes can I file online using TAP?
The following tax types are available in TAP:
- Beer Tax (BER)
- Brine Shrimp (BSR) – No logon template import only
- Corporate/Partnership (CPT) – Pay Only
- Gross Receipts – Pay Only
- Fiduciary Income Tax (FID) – No logon pay only
- Fuels Tax (FTX) – No logon template import and pay only
- Individual Income Tax (IIT) – Current year filing only; pay any year
- International Fuel Tax (IFTA)
- Insurance Premium Tax (INP)
- Self Insurer (ISE)
- Mining Severance (MIN)
- Oil & Gas Conservation (OGC)
- Oil & Gas Severance (OGS)
- Property Centrally Assessed (PCA) – File Only
- Rail Tax (PRC)
- Radioactive Waste (RAW)
- E-911 Emergency Services (SEM)
- Special Fuel User (SFU)
- Municipal Telecom (SMT)
- Restaurant Tax (SPF)
- Sales Special Event (SSE)
- Sales and Use Tax (STC)
- Sales Tax Energy (STE)
- Sales MV Rental Tax (STL)
- Sales Transient Room (STR)
- Miscellaneous Sales Taxes, Fees & Charges (SWT)
- Tobacco (TOB)
- Withholding Mineral Production (WMP)
- Withholding (WTH)
Is it a requirement to file tax returns on TAP?
Yes, all returns are required to be filed on TAP except:
- Corporate tax
- Individual income tax
Are employers required to file W-2s/1099s on TAP?
- All W-2’s are required to be filed on TAP
- 1099’s with Utah tax withheld are required to be filed on TAP
- Do not file 1099’s if you did not withhold Utah tax
Are there other methods for filing Withholding (WTH) and Mineral Production (WMP) returns and forms electronically?
Is it a requirement to pay on TAP?
No, although we strongly recommend paying online, you may pay in person or by mail and must include a payment coupon from tax.utah.gov for your tax type.
Is there a cost to use TAP?
No. TAP is absolutely free!
I don’t have the required information to sign up for access. Can I still use TAP?
No. You must have the required information to register and access accounts.
I have multiple tax accounts. Can I access all of them in TAP?
Yes, under your profile, you can add access to all of your tax accounts.
From the TAP homepage, click I Want To…, then click Add additional tax accounts to your TAP profile in the Access box. You will have to enter information for each account.
What happens when I submit a request using TAP?
Requests such as returns and payments show on your account as Submitted until they are processed the next business day.
Address and account access changes will update immediately.
How do I know my request was successful?
You will get a confirmation number after submitting tax returns, payments or changes to your account information. Please keep this number for future reference.
Will I get an email for every request I make?
No. You will only get an email from TAPSupport@utah.gov when you sign up for TAP access, reset your password, or update your profile or system settings.
What if I make a mistake while using TAP?
You can withdraw any Submitted request in TAP and resubmit it. Pending requests can be withdrawn the same day you submitted the request (returns and payments).
Processed returns can be corrected by amending it. If your payment has been processed, please call 801-297-3996, option 3, for help.
My return shows Late-In Error or Ontime-In Error. What should I do?
This means your return is under review . Please call us at 801-297-3996, option 3, if your Return Status does not change to Late-Processed or Ontime-Processed within 30 days of the date you filed.