Print Friendly, PDF & Email

About TAP

What is the deadline for filing and paying returns using TAP?

Filing – You must submit your tax return by midnight on the due date (due dates vary by tax types). Start early enough to finish by midnight. Returns submitted after the due date are late and may accrue interest and penalties.

Paying – You must submit or schedule your payment to process by midnight on the due date. You may file your return early and schedule your payment for the due date. Payments received after the due date are late and may accrue interest and penalties.

Who can use TAP?

Businesses and representatives (accountants, bookkeepers, payroll professionals, etc.) can use TAP to manage their Utah business tax accounts.

Individuals can use TAP to file current year Utah tax returns, make payments, request a payment agreement and request a waiver.

What information do I need to sign up for TAP access?

You must be a customer in our tax system and have a valid email address to sign up for TAP access. Representatives or preparers may gain third-party access if their client gives them the required information and authorization to manage the account (proof may be requested). You will get an email with an authorization code to access TAP your first time.

Why should I use TAP?

TAP is:

  • Free – There’s no cost to use TAP.
  • Convenient – Access TAP where and when you want – 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You won’t wait in lines or on the phone.
  • Simple – Sign up for access the first time you use TAP. After that, use your ID and password to log in.
  • Secure – TAP protects your tax information and provides you with a secure online experience. Your self-created ID and password verify your identity and allow you to securely do business with the government online.
  • Environmentally friendly – You can choose to stop receiving paper returns and manage your taxes online instead.
  • Fast – TAP is the fastest way to get your refund.
  • Manage Tax Account – You can also see any payments and changes you make to your business account within 24 hours.

What can I do using TAP?

TAP lets you:

  • File or amend tax returns (amending returns is not available for individual income taxes)
  • Make tax payments (including scheduling payments for future dates)
  • Check refund status – Individual Income tax and Circuit Breaker only
  • View your account history
  • Update account information such as an address
  • Let your account representative (accountant, bookkeeper, etc.) use TAP on your behalf
  • Add access to additional tax accounts

What taxes can I file online using TAP?

The following tax types are available in TAP:

  • Beer Tax (BER)
  • Brine Shrimp (BSR) – No logon template import only
  • Corporate/Partnership (CPT) – Pay Only
  • Gross Receipts – Pay Only
  • Fiduciary Income Tax (FID) – No logon pay only
  • Fuels Tax (FTX) – No logon template import and Pay only
  • Individual Income Tax (IIT) – Current year filing only; pay any year
  • International Fuel Tax (IFTA)
  • Insurance Premium Tax (INP)
  • Self Insurer (ISE)
  • Mining Severance (MIN)
  • Oil & Gas Conservation (OGC)
  • Oil & Gas Severance (OGS)
  • Property Centrally Assessed (PCA) – File Only
  • Rail Tax (PRC)
  • Radioactive Waste (RAW)
  • E-911 Emergency Services (SEM)
  • Special Fuel User (SFU)
  • Municipal Telecom (SMT)
  • Restaurant Tax (SPF)
  • Sales Special Event (SSE)
  • Sales and Use Tax (STC)
  • Sales Tax Energy (STE)
  • Sales MV Rental Tax (STL)
  • Sales Transient Room (STR)
  • Miscellaneous Sales Taxes, Fees & Charges (SWT)
  • Tobacco (TOB)
  • Withholding Mineral Production (WMP)
  • Withholding (WTH)

Do I have to use TAP to file my returns or make payments?

We encourage you to use TAP and our other online services because they are faster, but it is not mandatory with the following exceptions:

  • WTH accounts must file annual reconciliations electronically. See Online Filing and Paying of Withholding and Mineral Production Taxes for methods other than TAP. All WTH and WMP (mineral production withholding) accounts must file returns and forms electronically.
  • FTX accounts must file on TAP or by XML.
  • You should file IFTA and SFU returns and renewals in TAP. Contact our Technical Research Unit at 801-297-7710 if you have questions.

Is there a cost to use TAP?

No. Using TAP is absolutely free!

I don’t have the required information to sign up for TAP access. Can I still use TAP?

No. For your security, you must have the required information to register and access accounts through TAP.

I have multiple tax accounts. Can I access all of them in TAP?

Once you sign up for TAP, you can add access to any tax account that is part of the TAP system.

Click Add Access to an Account on your TAP homepage to add each account. You will have to enter verification information for each account.

What happens when I submit a request using TAP?

Requests such as returns and payments show on your account as Submitted until they are processed the next business day.

Requests such as address and account access changes will show on your account immediately.

How do I know my request was successful?

You will get a confirmation number after submitting tax returns, payments or changes to your account information. Please keep this number for future reference.

Will I get an email for every request I make?

No. You will only get an email from TAPSupport@utah.gov when you sign up for TAP access, reset your password, or update your profile or system settings.

What if I make a mistake while using TAP?

You can withdraw any Submitted request in TAP and resubmit it. You must withdraw requests that process overnight (such as returns and payments) the same day they are submitted.

You may correct a processed return by amending it. If your payment has been processed, please call 801-297-3996, option 3, for help.

My return shows Late-In Error or Ontime-In Error. What should I do?

Your return is under review . Please call us at 801-297-3996, option 3, if your Return Status does not change to Late-Processed or Ontime-Processed within 30 days of the date you filed.

Please note . . .

TC-69 Form Usually Requires Additional Schedules

When submitting a TC-69 paper form, you MUST also include the appropriate schedule(s). If you do not include the correct schedule(s), your business registration will be delayed.

Note: To save time and ensure all needed schedules are included, you can apply for a tax account online.

Please note . . .

Sales tax filing is changing

All Utah sales and use tax returns and other sales-related tax returns must be filed electronically, beginning with returns due Nov. 2, 2020. File electronically using Taxpayer Access Point at tap.utah.gov.

This includes:

  • Third quarter, July-Sept 2020 (quarterly filers)
  • September 2020 (monthly filers)
  • Jan – Dec 2020 (annual filers)
  • All related schedules

You can continue to the PDF form below, or go to TAP to register and begin filing electronically now—no need to wait until the deadline!