TAP FAQ – Third-Party Access

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

What is third-party access?

Third-party access lets you give another person access to your tax account(s). They can then file returns, make payments, and otherwise represent you when communicating with the Utah State Tax Commission. This access remains valid until you remove it from your account.

What can someone with third-party access do in TAP?

Third-party representatives can file or amend your returns, make payments, or view and update your account information. They may also submit a payment agreement or waiver request for you.

How do I allow or not allow third-party access?

TAP automatically defaults to allow a business access to your account if you give them certain tax information. The TAP Administrator can turn off this access through Settings.

Can I allow third-party access to more than one individual or company?

Yes. You grant online access to each individual or company by giving them your account information for the tax type. They can then add your account to their profile.

What do my employees need to do to start using TAP to file and pay business tax returns?

Each employee should sign up for access using their own ID and password. They should use the company’s FEIN or SSN and will need information from the most recent tax return filed.

Can I give employees or representatives different access levels in TAP?

Yes. The TAP Administrator can control which features you want them to use. Third parties are automatically given access to file and pay unless you change their access in your TAP account. You can make these changes from the Settings.

What if I only want the third party to view my account information using TAP?

Third parties are automatically given access to file and pay unless you change their access in your TAP account. The TAP Administrator can make these changes from the Settings.

I’m a representative. How do I sign up for TAP online?

You must first sign up for TAP access for yourself. Then your client(s) must give you their required information. Finally, you log in as yourself and click Add Access to an Account.

You will be asked to confirm that you have authorization to act for your client (proof may be requested).

How do I remove third-party clients from my TAP account?

Follow these steps:

  • Log into your TAP account.
  • Click Settings.
  • Click Access tab.
  • Click the access level link for the account you want to cancel access to.
  • Click Cancel my access to this account link.
  • Click OK.
  • Repeat steps 2-6 for each account you want to remove.

Once access has been cancelled, they should no longer show in the Accounts tab list.

I’m a representative but cannot ‘add access’ to my client’s tax account?

You will need to contact your client to verify they have registered for a TAP account.

Please note . . .

TC-69 Form Usually Requires Additional Schedules

When submitting a TC-69 paper form, you MUST also include the appropriate schedule(s). If you do not include the correct schedule(s), your business registration will be delayed.

Note: To save time and ensure all needed schedules are included, you can apply for a tax account online.

Please note . . .

Sales tax filing is changing

All Utah sales and use tax returns and other sales-related tax returns must be filed electronically, beginning with returns due Nov. 2, 2020. File electronically using Taxpayer Access Point at tap.utah.gov.

This includes:

  • Third quarter, July-Sept 2020 (quarterly filers)
  • September 2020 (monthly filers)
  • Jan – Dec 2020 (annual filers)
  • All related schedules

You can continue to the PDF form below, or go to TAP to register and begin filing electronically now—no need to wait until the deadline!