BEFORE THE UTAH STATE TAX COMMISSION
: FINDINGS OF FACT,
v. : CONCLUSIONS OF LAW
: AND FINAL DECISION
COLLECTION DIVISION OF THE : Appeal No. 88-2561
UTAH STATE TAX COMMISSION, :
: Account No. XXXXX
STATEMENT OF CASE
This matter came before the Utah State Tax Commission pursuant to the Utah Administrative Procedures Act for a formal hearing on XXXXX, before Joseph G. Linford, Presiding Officer. No one representing either Petitioner or Respondent appeared at the hearing although notice dated XXXXX was duly mailed to the Petitioner. Therefore, this decision is based upon the documents contained in the file.
After reviewing the evidence and arguments of the parties in the record and the recommendation of the presiding officer, the Tax Commission hereby makes its:
FINDINGS OF FACT
1. The tax in question is sales and use tax.
2. The period in question is XXXXX to XXXXX.
3. Petitioner requests a waiver of penalty and interest in this case based upon the fact that funds collected for sales tax on some orders were used to pay for salaries, so that when it came time to pay for taxes, the Petitioner did not have the funds to do so on time.
CONCLUSIONS OF LAW
1. Utah Code Ann. §§59-1-401 and59-1-402 provide that penalties and interest shall be imposed for the late payment and filing of taxes.
2. Utah Code Ann. §59-1-401(8) provides that the Tax Commission may, upon reasonable cause shown, waive or reduce penalties and interest assessed under the above statutes.
3. Such reasonable cause has not been shown in this case. It is apparent that Petitioner used tax funds for other expenses in the business rather than paying the taxes on time as required by law. Petitioner provides no basis upon which to grant a waiver.
DECISION AND ORDER
Based upon the foregoing, it is the decision and order of the Utah State Tax Commission that Petitioner's request for waiver of penalties and interest be denied.
DATED this 17 day of May, 1990.
BY ORDER OF THE UTAH STATE TAX COMMISSION.
R. H. Hansen Roger O. Tew
Joe B. Pacheco G. Blaine Davis