What is the deadline for filing and paying returns using TAP?
Filing – You must submit your tax return by midnight on the due date. Start early enough to finish by midnight. Returns submitted after the due date are late and may accrue interest and penalties.
Paying – You must submit or schedule your payment to process by midnight on the due date. You may file your return early and schedule your payment for the due date. Payments received after the due date are late and may accrue interest and penalties.
Who can use TAP?
Businesses and representatives (accountants, bookkeepers, payroll professionals, etc.) can use TAP to manage their Utah business tax accounts.
What information do I need to sign up for TAP access?
You must be a customer in our tax system and have a valid email address to sign up for TAP access.
Representatives or preparers may gain third-party access if their client gives them the required information and authorization to manage the account (proof may be requested).
Currently IFTA, SFU and IRP representatives must provide a signed Power of Attorney form (paper copy) to our Motor Carrier group before third-party access will be granted. Please contact our Motor Carrier group at 801-297-6800 or 1-888-251-9555 for help.
Once you provide this information, you will get an authorization code by email to access TAP the first time.
Why should I use TAP?
- Free – There's no cost to use TAP.
- Convenient – Access TAP where and when you want – 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You won’t wait in lines or on the phone.
- Simple – Sign up for access the first time you use TAP. After that, use your ID and password to log in.
- Secure – TAP protects your tax information and provides you with a secure online experience. Your self-created ID and password verify your identity and allow you to securely do business with the government online.
- Environmentally friendly – You can choose to stop receiving paper returns and manage your taxes online instead.
- Fast – TAP is the fastest way to get your refund. You can also see any payments and changes you make to your account within 24 hours.
What can I do using TAP?
TAP lets you:
- File or amend tax returns
- Make tax payments (including scheduling payments for future dates)
- Check refund status
- View your account history
- Update account information such as an address
- Grant your account representative (accountant, bookkeeper, etc.) third-party access to use TAP on your behalf.
- Add access to additional tax accounts
What taxes can I file online using TAP?
The following tax types are available in TAP:
- Beer Tax (BER)
- Brine Shrimp (BSR)
- Corporate/Partnership (CPT) – Pay Only
- Partnerships (PTR)
- Gross Receipts
- Fiduciary Income Tax (FID)
- International Fuel Juris (FTJ)
- Fuels Tax (FTX)
- Individual Income Tax (IIT) – Current year only
- International Fuel Tax (IFTA)
- Insurance Premium Tax (INP)
- International Reg Plan (IRP)
- Self Insurer (ISE)
- Mining Severance (MIN)
- Oil & Gas Conservation (OGC)
- Oil & Gas Severance (OGS)
- Property Centrally Assessed (PCA) – File Only
- Rail Tax (PRC) – Pay Only
- Radioactive Waste (RAW)
- E-911 Emergency Services (SEM)
- Special Fuel User (SFU)
- Municipal Telecom (SMT)
- Restaurant Tax (SPF)
- Sales Special Event (SSE)
- Sales and Use Tax (STC)
- Sales Tax Energy (STE)
- Sales MV Rental Tax (STL)
- Sales Transient Room (STR)
- Misc Sales Fees Charges (SWT)
- Tobacco (TOB)
- Withholding Mineral Prod (WMP)
- Withholding (WTH)
Do I have to use TAP to file my returns or make payments?
You should file IFTA and SFU returns and renewals in TAP. Contact our Motor Carrier Group at 1-801-297-6800 or 1-888-251-9555 if you have questions.
We encourage you to use TAP and our other online services because they are faster, but it is not mandatory.
Is there a cost to use TAP?
No. Using TAP is absolutely free!
I don't have the required information to sign up for TAP access. Can I still use TAP?
No. For your security, you must have the required information to register and access accounts through TAP.
I have multiple tax accounts. Can I access all of them in TAP?
Once you sign up for TAP, you can add access to any tax account that is part of the TAP system.
Click Add Access to an Account on your TAP home page to add each account. You will have to enter verification information for each account.
What happens when I submit a request using TAP?
Requests such as returns and payments show on your account as Pending until they are processed the next business day.
Requests such as address and account access changes will show on your account immediately.
How do I know my request was successful?
You will get a confirmation number after submitting tax returns, payments or changes to your account information. Please keep this number for future reference.
Will I get an e-mail for every request I make?
What if I make a mistake while using TAP?
You can withdraw any Pending request in TAP and resubmit it. You must withdraw requests that process overnight (such as returns and payments) the same day they are submitted.
You may correct a processed return by amending it. If your payment has processed, please call 801-297-3996 for help.
My return shows Late-In Error or Ontime-In Error. What should I do?
Your return is being reviewed. Please call us at 801-297-3996 if your Return Status does not change to Late-Processed or Ontime-Processed in 30 days of the date you filed.